Sunday, January 31, 2010

Observation of Team Behaviour: Intercultural and Interpersonal communication


The world today is characterized by an ever-growing number of contacts resulting in communication between people with different linguistic and cultural backgrounds. We have many different relationships with people. For example, interacting with a sales clerk in a store is different from the relationship we have with our friends and family members.
I once remembered an incident where my friend, who is Singaporean, came with me to India during the holidays for a visit. There I introduced her to my grandmother. So the first thing she did was to give out her hand to shake hands with her. But my grandmother didn’t shake hands with her. Instead she folded their hands in the cultural way and said namaste. Seeing this my friend was shocked as shaking hands here in Singapore is very common but I explained to her that people in India do not shake their hands but fold them and instead. So from then onwards, whenever she met people there, she knew that shaking hands was wrong and so started folding hands instead.
In a nutshell the main purpose of following such theories is to earn respect from other people’s culture.
Interpersonal communication is the process of sending and receiving information between people and interaction between members of different groups, who differ from each other in respect of the knowledge shared by them and in respect of their linguistic forms of symbolic behaviour. Once my friend and I went for a movie and she was coming by MRT to the theater. I was waiting for her at the station. I messaged her saying that I was at the ticketing counter and asked her to meet me there. She thought that I meant the ticketing counter at the theater and went there instead. Then, I realized and thought that I should have mentioned ticketing counter at the MRT instead. This indicates how interpersonal communication plays a role in our life.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Manjula,
    I really enjoy reading your post as it has a personal style of writing to it. On top of that, the use of your own personal experiences as support makes your post more interesting and attracts readers to continue reading (like spices which entices the taste of a dish). In addition, the appropriate use of a picture is recommended as a picture speaks a thousand words. However, on a personal note, I believe that you should at least put the meaning or equivalent of Namaste in parentheses (for example. Namaste (a form of greetings)) as not everybody know what it actually means. Another point to improve your post is that the conclusion seems to be missing. Thus, after reading the article, readers are left hanging at the end of the post, without a conclusion to summarize the post.
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Manjula,
    Your blog post was interesting as you are using your personal experiences to illustrate your point .This is effective since only by experiencing the situations yourself can you understand the significance of this experience. However, for this blog post I don't think that you have showed much interpretation and I felt that it was largely a blog about your personal experiences. Perhaps you could explain these experiences using the knowledge we have learnt in the tutorials to explain culture and the fundamentals of effective communication in your blog post.
    Regards,
    Zhi Hong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Manjula
    It was very interesting to read your blogpost especially since you had a number of relevant personal experiences to share. I can very well relate to the second example, since I was involved in it too and I remember the miscommunication we had. It is good to learn from past personal experiences and not to commit the same mistakes again so as to improve our effective communication. I also found your picture at the beginning of the post very appropriate as it clearly shows people from different cultures getting together. This picture gives the readers a good idea on what to expect your post to be about. On the other hand, I felt that you could have made more analysis to the personal experiences. Perhaps you could consider including details on how you think interpersonal and intercultural communication can be made more effective. I also felt that you were lacking a proper conclusion at the end of your post. Therefore, it would be better to include a conclusion next time, with a general summary of your entire post to wrap it up well. Apart from this, your post was well written and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
    Regards
    Ish

    ReplyDelete