Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Reflections on Oral Presentation 2


We had our second oral presentation on Monday, 22nd March. My group consisted of Roger, Gillian and myself. We had rehearsed several times before the actual presentation but however, we were still very nervous about the presentation. We were well dressed for the occasion and the tone used was appropriate. The transition between us was also very smooth. We tried our best to engage the audience and persuade them to consider our proposed solution. Lastly, during the Q&A session, the way we addressed the audience was polite, and the answers were quite complete. On the whole, the team presentation was good and cohesive.

Firstly, for me, OP2 was a much better experience compared to OP1. I felt a bit more confident for this presentation compared to the first one. Although I was not that familiar with the topic, I still felt more comfortable while speaking to the audience. Unlike the previous time, I tried my best to maintain eye contact with the audience. I also made sure that I did not speak too fast and kept to a standard pace. I was clear and confident in my delivery, which is important for one to become a good speaker. I also tried to speak in simple terms which could be comprehended easily but maybe I should have tried to use better vocabulary to make the presentation sound more professional. I had included some interesting pictures in my slides to constantly arouse the audience’s attention. I feel that I have made quite an improvement though there is room for more. One thing that I have to take note of is that I should have tried to answer the questions or at least tried to add on to what the other group members said during the Q&A session which I failed to do so during this presentation. So overall, I guess more effort would be needed to improve further on my ability to interact well with the audience and also on my presentation skills.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Manjula,

    I enjoyed the presentation that your group gave. It opened up my world to the possibility of using public cloud for non sensitive data. Personally I think that you put in a better performance this time, and I could see the difference between your current presentation and the previous presentation. I could tell that you were more prepared for this presentation since you appeared more confident and managed to maintain eye-contact with the audience for a longer duration of time.

    However, I could sense that you was not familiar with the topic as during the question and answer, you was relatively less involved in the answering as compared the other group members. In addition, there were instances where your body language reveals that you were not certain about your presentation.

    On a personal note, I felt that you can take the initiative to familiarize yourself with the topic or parts that were done by other group members so that you can be more involved in the question and answer. Furthermore, by doing so, you will be more confident when presenting the slides, since you will be clear about what you are talking about.

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Manjula

    It is good that you have included both positive as well as negative factors that you have identified in your presentation. In addition, you have mentioned several adjustments you have made in order to improve your oral presentation 2, compared to the first one. This shows that you have indeed worked on your weaknesses and that you are slowly conquering them. Well done! In addition, although you have included worthy feedback on the verbal aspects of your speech, it would have been better if you had stated a criteria which you followed to evaluate your presentation. You have also missed out the non-verbal aspects of a presentation such as body language and hand gestures. You may want to add in another post regarding your non-verbal performance. Other than that, I think you did a great job by delivering your content clearly and maintaining a confident and enthusiastic tone throughout your presentation. In addition, as you have already identified, I felt that you could have participated more actively in the Q&A session as well. I am glad that you are constantly identifying areas of improvement to further excel in your presentation skills. Goob job, keep it up!

    Regards
    Iswarya

    ReplyDelete